This is kinda long but its more to help me remember and share how my testimony was strengthened to those who are brave enough to read such a long post.
Hailey has been doing some serious teething lately. Her two top, front teeth are so close you can see them under the gums but they arent through yet...so close...but also so painful. I give her Motrin and things but sometimes that doesnt quite cut it. For the past few nights she has not been sleeping well and has been waking up sometime between 12 and 2, sometimes more than once, which is VERY unusual for her. For a really long time now (a good 4 months+) Hailey has pretty much slept straight through from 8pm to 6:30 and now 7ish in the morning, with me waking her up once around 10 0r 11 to eat and go straight back to sleep. Now it hasnt always been that way but I am a firm believer in sleep training to have a happier baby and a happier mommy. You can ask my parents I have always really needed my sleep to be a happy patient person...so these past few days have been rough.
Last night she woke up at 1am on the dot...I had been in bed for like 30 minutes and just barely getting to sleep. Jonny has a long work day today so I didnt bother him and just took a pillow out to the couch to watch a little TV or something becuase heaven knows I wasnt gonna sleep until she went back to sleep. Because she has recently learned to pull herself up these crying sessions go on for longer than they used to. I went in every 10+ minutes to lay her back down and rub her back for a minute or two, which just ticks her off even more when I leave. We continued this routine for an hour. At this point I changed her diaper and put her back in bed immediately....more crying. No I'm not a bad mother and I knew she was fine cause every time I went in there to put her back down she stopped crying until she realized I was putting her back down and not picking her up.
Right around 2:15 or so, starting to feel like a mean mom, and not knowing if I could take much more I sat on my couch and started to say a prayer not knowing what else to do. I prayed that "I had tried everything and didnt know what to do. If there was something wrong with her to please help me know, but if she was just so tired and needed to go back to sleep to please help her go back to sleep". As soon as I said the last words, "please help her go back to sleep", I kid you not, she instantly stopped crying and didnt make another sound the rest of the night. I actually checked on her a few minutes later to make sure she was really ok. I have no doubt that it was NOT "just a coincidence". I know it maybe seems so simple but to me it was amazing that my tired, frusterated prayer at 2:15 in the morning was obviously important to my Heavenly Father and that it is through small amd simple things that our testimonies are strengthened and I know that mine was. I am so grateful that I know I can pray to my Father about anything and though I will not always receive such an immediate answer I know that He is there. No those teeth are not through yet, but she woke up happy this morning and I am not worried that there is something else wrong with her either.
Monday, May 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
HEY i just found your blog it's so dang cute!! Anyways i'm excited for our FHE dinner tonight.. see ya soon!
Cassie, I am so glad that you had that experience. We went through the same with Charlotte when she was getting teeth. I know how confusing it can be when their behavior changes and how it can cause worry. I also know that Heavenly Father hears our prayers. Good luck with teething. Hopefully once these ones come in you'll get a little break until the next ones!
Hey Cas...you'll have to nap with Hailey today! That is a "good" experience though...and hopefully someday when my kids are teething I'll remember that I'm not the only mom in the world that has been through it :)
Great choices! When we are blessed with those very personal tender mercies from our Heavenly Father, we know even more than before that we are loved and so special.
I am so grateful for your experience with prayer.
Wish I were there to help you get some rest. You know I would.
This is such a lovely story! I'm going to have to talk to you about sleep training. We are trying it with Hannah and it is just not working very well. Last night she was awake from 12:45-3:00! ACK!!!!! Maybe it is time to start some serious praying cause I'm at the end of my rope here!!!
Post a Comment