Tuesday, October 7, 2008

We need to talk...

Oh hi there!

Come on in and sit down. We need to talk...

There is a lot of excitement going around about these new babies and pictures and soon-to-be babies and pictures and on and on.

This is all well and good. Blogs are great for all this. Keep up to date. Catch up with people. Watch the little pooping machines grow.

Fun times.

However, there is one major flaw in all this. This flaw is... the exclamation point.

If you were reading Harry Potter, and Harry said, "Look out Ron!", you would picture Harry saying this with some urgency and animation. This is what exclamation points do. They show excitement and emotion.

If you read Harry say, "HOLY COW LOOK OUT RON!" You would picture Harry yelling at Ron. Hopefully it doesn't damage their friendship. This is what capital letters do. They portray someone yelling.

These rules don't only apply to Harry Potter books. They apply to all forms of writing...

Including blogs.

If you were to write a blog post like this:

Those are cute baby pictures! Hope everything is going well. I want to give Jonny money. Hope to see you guys soon!

This would be an acceptable blog post and way to give Jonny money. A couple exclamation points, but not overkill.

If your blog post looked like this:

CUTE PICS! I LOVE READING BLOGS! SEE YOU SOON!

This means you are yelling at me.

Why are you yelling at me? What did I ever do to you?!

If your blog post or comment looks like this:

I LOVE THE PICTURES!!! I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU!!! TYPING IS FUN!!! YOU'VE BEEN TAGGED!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHA!!!! WHERE THE FREAK IS THE CAPS LOCK BUTTON!!!!!!

This means that you are so excited you just pooped yourself.

Gross.

Go ahead and get cleaned up. I'll wait.

...

Back?

Now, wasn't all that loud over use of the exclamation point more hassle than it was worth? We need to calm down here.


The pictures are adorable. Babies are adorable. Jonny is adorable. Mikie may or may not be adorable. But let's all try to keep our heads and not break any computers because of mashing keys from excitement. We can all have fun, but we need to keep any more high school English teachers from walking into traffic due to this. Maybe we should all take a few Tylenol PMs before we look at blogs.

Just a thought.

And Kenny, if you write a comment like this:

OMG!!!! LOL!!! WTF!!!! PWND!!!!!!!!! HAHAH!!!! BTW!!!!!!!!! WWJD!!!!! YAY!!!! WE LOVE BLOG COMMENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to come over there and hit you over the head with a sock full of nickles.

Yeah, I'm watching you bud.

12 comments:

Mrs. C. Yeates said...

Hmm...sounds like someone has been a little sleep deprived as of late. But I agree, the yelling emails and comments annoy me as well.

Would comments like this be better?

hailey is so cute i cant wait to see her wow it is really hot outside today um i think i need to go now because typing with use of any grammatical skills is giving me a headache at least i tried to spell things correctly.

Nursemom said...

ROTFL!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!! YASF!!!!!(you are so funny) Too bad I'm not Kenny.

finn freak said...

Chiara was that a stab at me, seeing as how everytime I write an email or anything I use "..." everwhere? so yeah... I hope all is well with everyone... and ill see you all soon... oh and by the way... JONNY YOU SHOULD BE A COMEDIAN OR A WRITER!!! (and I do mean to yell that at you)

Charlissa said...

I had a great desire to just "yell" everything I am typing here but I refrained just for you.... Thats all.

Anonymous said...

HEY THAT WAS RELLY GOOD JONNY!!!! jk. Where do you get this stuff.
ZACH

Eppie said...

I would be happy to be your editor, should you ever decide to write professionally. Between you and Chiara, you are both gifted enough to make some money. My initial reaction would be to censure some of yours, Jon. But then I realize....THEY WOULDN'T BE FUNNY ANYMORE!!!!!!!
Enjoyed it terribly.....so yeah...like... you know...
Dad

Cool Runnings said...

MIKIE IS TOO ADORABLE!! :(

Karen Nelson said...

...Jonny and I have had an ongoing conversation about this since I have been visiting. He is hilarious as you all know. I know some of this is pointed toward me because I love exclamation points! And I do intend to continue to use them until my number 1 key is destroyed.
HaIlEy Is So CuTe!!!
So Jonny, what does that mean?

Jonnycool said...

you are having a seizure

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jonnycool said...

Umm...whoever wrote the last comment, I umm, accidently deleted it. My bad

Angela S said...

I'm pretty sure you're the one having a seizure. I'd write in all caps to prove my point but well, I'd rather slit my wrists that subject someone to all that yelling.