Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Miracle of Birth

Alternate title: HOLY FREAKING CRAP!!!

Yeah, you guys knew this blog was coming. I mean seriously, how could I witness something like this and not write about it? That'd be like a Hurst kid refusing to get 1 extra piece of pie to share with his 6 family members...

As Cassie mention before, the whole labor thing was kinda a surprise. I actually made Cassie wait for me to take a shower before we went to the hospital.

When the nurse told us about number 4's and other technical terms that I don't really understand, I looked at Cassie and said, "wait...so are we having a baby here?"

When she said yes I believe my response was "Holy -insert word-"

In my defense, Cassie had the same reaction!

I remained pretty composed. And by remained pretty composed I mean I called a bunch of people and freaked out.

I did okay until they did the water breaking thing. Think 24 is exciting? Imagine watching a gallon of liquid falling out of a loved one right in the middle of a Law and Order episode. That'll make ya miss a few plot details let me tell ya.

Now I remained loving and supportive. That lasted about 2 hours. Note to soon to be fathers: DO NOT tell your pregnant wife that you could have finished that Law and Order marathon.

After about 5 hours of being there things got pretty serious. They decided that pushing was a good thing to start up.

Now I just thought a few pushes and the kid would pop out. Kinda like a champagne cork.

This is not the case.

Apparently you have to push for like and hour and a half. That all looked like fun and everything, but my approach was to just stay up at Cassie's head and stare at the wall behind her occasionally throwing out a, "you're doing great honey"

After about an hour of pushing the good doctor Jim shows up and starts doing his thing.

Everyone told me that there would be a sheet so you didn't have to worry about seeing anything.

Everyone lied.

No sheet.

No nothing.

So unless you were legally blind, you saw some action.

At this point I realized it was a universal rule that anyone within 20 miles of the hospital had to come "check" Cassie.

I'm pretty sure we had 13 nurses, 3 doctors, 2 janitors, and 8 U.S. senators look at my wife.

It was a touching moment.

Halfway through the pushing where the Doctor is pulling on stuff, I kinda saw a bit more than I wanted and had to leave the room. It was that or barf on my birthing wife. We opted for the cleaner option.

Now don't you folks worry. I didn't leave her all alone in there. The minute we found out she was going into labor I called for reinforcements.

You people have no faith in me. Sheesh.

After about 5 minutes I got back in just in time for the last push.

And there she was! Our new baby squid made of clay.

...what?! That's what she looked like!

They rushed her off and did their baby cleaning thing. I stayed with Cassie because standing up would have resulted in very large man fainting. I thought the whole thing was done there.

Wrong again. Cassie still had A LOT more stuff to do.

I'm telling you, mad props to the women. I am seriously proud of Cassie. As a man, I can darn well tell ya that I could NOT have handled anything she went through. There was so much crazy stuff after the birth. I don't even know where to begin. The doctor kept pulling on stuff. There were all kinds of different fluids. I'll spare the details.

I managed to make it over to the baby eventually. She was kinda cute.

A little squished up.

But cute.

Eventually the 300 people left the room and we were able to relax.

Cassie had no dignity. I had no clue what just happened. Hailey had a squished nose.

All in all, I'd say that I can add that the whole experience taught me a very valuable lesson:

I am SO thankful I'm a dude .

10 comments:

beckee said...

Ah...the miracle of birth-shocking the first time with all the unexpected business. You cannot possibly prepare for that one! You are lucky to be a dude, but personally, I wouldn't trade! I love being the mommy!

Laura said...

I only pushed for 30 minutes...it just depends on who you are. The whole process is quite unbelieveable. I'm glad that you did so well, and I'm sure Cassie was grateful to have you by her side.

Sarah Coyne said...

This is brilliant! You are so funny! Paul had a similar reaction when both our kids were born. Worth it though in the end, right?!?

Natalie said...

I pushed once. My husband was giddy. My baby was gorgeous.
SO, I laughed at your account. MAD props to your wife for pushing for 90 minutes! And Jim IS the best doctor in the world.
Woman's note: You wouldn't have made it past 6 weeks (4 weeks gestation), let alone one minute of pushing. Good thing your wife is so great! Congratulations on a cutie pie!

Who's up for round 2?

The Bald Eagle said...

You'll notice there are no men really making any comments. Yeah, we know what you're talking about, and we know it's all part of that "being a woman" thing that men will never really know or understand or have any ground to stand on to make any comments other than how wonderful and amazing it all is. Anything different than that and you are asking for trouble all the rest of your days. It truly is wonderful and amazing and something I'll never really be able to fully appreciate (and my sweet, loveable wife reminds me of that whenever she feels I need some humbling or perspective orientation). Good job to Cassie and Jonny, and congratulations. When can I get my wife back?

Lindsey said...

No kidding...be very happy you are a dude! Too funny! Kudos!

Mrs. C. Yeates said...

Sorry about the sheet. But you were warned about the rest. Glad you were able to make it through and be so helpful to Cassie. And kudos to Cassie- I pushed Kenny for 90 minutes and it is very hard and tiring.

I read your account to Ken and he said you had it just about right. A little disturbing at times, but a wonderful miracle and worth another go.

And as a woman, with my hubby in agreement, I think all families would be "only child" if men were delivering. They wouldn't do that again. But women have a tendency to forget/glaze over the pain and nastiness side and only remember the love and the joy of the experience.

Though, as a pregnant woman, reading your account reminded me of what I have to look forward to in the near-ist future. Yippee. Thanks a lot.

Nursemom said...

I was wondering when that blog would show up. good job. As long as Cassie was happy with the whole experience I'm sure you did just fine. Congrats on a beautiful baby too. She looks a lot like you.

Nursemom said...

By the way, I pushed Landan for 15 min and Gavin for about 1 min (maybe 3 pushes). sorry but I had to brag. HUGE kudos to Cassie for pushing for 90 min. I think I would have given up by then.

Eppie said...

Jonny I'm very proud of you. Knowing how you feel about these things you did great. Don't worry about what you saw. You will forget by the time the next one comes. PS: I only pushed about twice with all 5 of my childen. Sorry Cassie, you are a trooper.