Have you seen the trailer for this new movie 88 Minutes? It looks like it's the usual "someone's out to kill someone else and they need to figure it out blah blah blah" plot. That's not a big deal. I'm getting used to Hollywood reusing tired story lines.
And yet, this movie ticks me off for some reason. I haven't even seen the darn thing and already I want to smack the people who made it!
Why?
88 Minutes.
That's why.
Why 88 minutes? Did they run out of film?
I can't even conceive of a plot that would specifically require a time limit of 88 minutes. What kind of person would devise an incredibly complicated scheme to kill another person and then assign a random time to it? Do evil masterminds dislike rounding to the nearest 5?
You never know. Maybe there's a perfectly good explanation.
Good Guy: Hello?
Bad Guy: You have 88 minutes to live.
Good Guy: What?! Who is this?!
Bad Guy: Yeah, I called you two minutes ago, but you didn't answer.
Bad Guy: Sorry.
Bad Guy: I left a voicemail, but you can disregard it at this point.
Bad Guy: I tried calling back a minute later, but I couldn't get a signal.
Bad Guy: Then I called again and got a wrong number.
Bad Guy: Unfortunately, this leaves you with only 88 minutes to live.
Bad Guy: Crap... 87...
Good Guy: Do you want to start over?
Bad Guy: Could we? I didn't think this through completely.
Good Guy: Maybe you could call me back and just say 90.
Bad Guy: I guess...
Bad Guy: Man, this is harder than I thought.
Maybe some of his complex plan revolves around some events with very strict time limitations.
Honestly, though, that just sounds like poor planning. Probably should find a new career other than Criminal Mastermind.
This really ticks me off for two reasons:
1) someone somewhere thought that making it 88 minutes instead of 90 helped the story
2) I realized that I have way too much time on my hands if this bothers me so much.
I know it's not that big a deal. But every time that commercial comes on, I want to fly to Hollywood just to slap someone. No one in particular. Just the first person I run into. If I'm in Hollywood, there's a pretty good chance whoever I slap will deserve it.
I need study break...
Tuesday, April 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
You all will have to excuse my husband he has been under a large amount of stress lately with finals and moving...he gets a little random!
I was just amazed that he even thought about that. The conversation posted was really funny, but never in a million years would the fact that it was 88 instead of 90 crossed my mind. Maybe that's because growing up, my dad would always setup meetings at 7:01 or tell us to be home at 10:53pm. He felt that by making it a random time, we'd be more likely to remember.
So, I guess this means I should not ask if you think it would be a good movie for Dan and I to go to.
Jonny...you always brighten my days!!
Post a Comment