Wednesday, January 30, 2008

President Hinckley 1910 - 2008

I thought about posting something about President Hinckley when he passed away but I didnt know what I was going to post so I kinda let the idea go. He is honestly the only prophet I remember. However I was inspired by reading others' blogs and decided to go ahead with it. I realized that it could be more of a tribute to him than something sad.

It was somewhat difficult for me, as it was for everyone, but especially at this time because over the past 2-3 weeks I have been struggling with a number of things and had been gleaning so much strength from a talk that he gave a long time ago that has been my favorite ever since. I was so looking forward to hearing from him in April. Here is a portion of the talk. He gave it at a General Relief Society Meeting in October 2003.

"Someone has said: “Be kind to the women. They constitute half the population and are mothers to the other half.”My dear sisters, you marvelous women who have chosen the better part, I stand in great admiration for all that you do. I see your hands in everything.


Many of you are mothers, and that is enough to occupy one’s full time.


You are companions—the very best friends your husbands have or ever will have.


You are housekeepers. That doesn’t sound like much, does it? But what a job it is to keep a house clean and tidy.


You are shoppers. Until I got older I never dreamed of what a demanding responsibility it is to keep food in the pantry, to keep clothing neat and presentable, to buy all that is needed to keep a home running.


You are nurses. With every illness that comes along, you are the first to be told about it and the first to respond with help. In cases of serious sickness, you are at the bedside day and night, comforting, encouraging, ministering, praying.


You are the family chauffeur. You are driving your children about on paper routes, taking them to athletic events, driving them on ward outings, hauling here, there, and everywhere as they pursue their busy lives.And so I might go on.


My children are now all grown. Some are in their 60s. But when they call and I answer the phone, they say, “How are you?” And before I can answer, they ask, “Is Mother there?”She has been their strength all of their lives.
Since they were babies they have looked to her, and she has always responded with affection, guidance, teaching, blessing their lives in every way.


Now we have granddaughters who are mothers. They visit us, and I marvel at their patience, at their capacity to calm their children, to stop them from crying, and it seems to me to do a thousand other things.They drive cars, they run computers, they attend the activities of their children, they cook and sew, they teach classes, and they speak in church. I see their husbands, and I feel like saying to them: “Wake up. Carry your share of the load. Do you really appreciate your wife? Do you know how much she does? Do you ever compliment her? Do you ever say thanks to her?”


Well, you dear women, I say thanks to you. Thank you for being the kind of people you are and doing the things you do. May the blessings of heaven rest upon you. May your prayers be answered and your hopes and dreams become realities.


You serve so well in the Church. You think it is so demanding. It is. But with every responsibility fulfilled, there comes a great reward.


Many of you think you are failures. You feel you cannot do well, that with all of your effort it is not sufficient.We all feel that way. I feel that way as I speak to you tonight. I long for, I pray for the power and the capacity to lift you, to inspire you, to thank you, to praise you, and to bring a measure of gladness into your hearts.We all worry about our performance. We all wish we could do better. But unfortunately we do not realize, we do not often see the results that come of what we do.


Now, my dear sisters, that is the way with you. You are doing the best you can, and that best results in good to yourself and to others. Do not nag yourself with a sense of failure. Get on your knees and ask for the blessings of the Lord; then stand on your feet and do what you are asked to do. Then leave the matter in the hands of the Lord. You will discover that you have accomplished something beyond price."


He then speaks to each different age group in attendance and finishes by speaking about the love he has for his wife.

I am so grateful for the love, encouragement, and optimism he always taught.


I feel these pictures are so characteristic of him and his life.

5 comments:

Becky said...

Cool! I too am totally going to miss him. What a great man and prophet! I love that talk too!

Laura said...

Cassie, I don't remember ever hearing that talk. Probably because I was 16 at the time. Anyways, I'm glad that you decided to post about that because it is exactly what I needed to hear and provided the strength I needed right now. I, too, am grateful for a latter day prophet who helps us in this world that is so confusing. I feel Satan is trying very hard to discourage women from fulfilling thier divine roles. I know that Lord has all of us in mind and that he will send us the help and strength we need. Thanks for sharing your testimony with me.

Mrs. C. Yeates said...

I have never read this one, but I love it. It sounds like the talk that is my favorite and I posted it on our blog. Thank you for sharing.

Mother Goose said...

I remember that talk. Thanks for reminding me of it!!

Katie said...

Exactly what I needed to hear. Thanks so much for posting this. I'm really going to miss him, too.