Saturday, August 11, 2007

The Human Mind...

Oh the great wonders of the human mind! Capable of processing millions of bits of information in seconds, we often find ourselves able to catch a glimpse of intelligence in true form.

With this in mind, I would like to relate an experience I had while returning home from David's wedding. Kenny and I used almost every spare hour we had getting all the immature guy fun out of our system. Unfortunately, this time often came VERY late at night. On the day I flew back to LA, Kenny and I managed to stay up till 2 in the morning with a departure time for the airport at 4 a.m. Not running on a great amount of sleep, I chose to spend my time on the plane recuperating. This means I wished for no human interaction, just peace and quite. The flight to Phoenix was peaceful and I had 3 seats to myself. So far so good. Then came the flight from Phoenix to LA. I sat by the window with a wonderful (read: obnoxious) woman next to me with another woman beside her. The delightful woman struck up a conversation immediately with the aisle seat occupant without hesitation. This didn't bother me, I can sleep through anything (Cassie thinks she could be murdered in the bed next to me and I wouldn't wake up). Unfortunately, this arrangement did not last much longer than takeoff. The aisle woman managed to shake free of her attackers conversation. Unable to accept the solitude of a 45 min. flight in silence, the woman then looks frantically for another person to converse with. Her eyes land on her next target...me. As she begins speaking to me I think quickly of my primary days. Using the sign language I learned from Silent Night, I make a few motions at her indicating I was dear. Enter human intelligence. Instead of abandoning her campaign, she raises her voice by 60 decibels and shouts, "OH! ARE YOU DEAF!?" Suppressing the urge to laugh (read: smack her over the head) I shake my head at her and turn away.

The story is long, the meaning is pointless, but hopefully we all got some chuckles out of it. I know I did.

4 comments:

Cool Runnings said...

We got more than just chuckles out of it!

Mrs. C. Yeates said...

Kenny would do that. Great story!

Nursemom said...

that is awesome. I am totally going to use that in the future. Sometimes, you can have some real genius moments. I loved the story.

Karen Nelson said...

Jonny...you never cease to make me laugh and brighten my days!! But, be careful....what if the lady knew sign language??