Thursday, April 16, 2009

Goodbye Utah

Jonny did it! He is gonna graduate!

I am SO proud of him. He has worked so hard these past couple semesters with taking care of Hailey, going to school, and working part time. He has had hardly any time to himself at all, if any, but he made it and we are so happy.

This does mean that we are actually leaving Utah for good though. We are headed out before early tomorrow morning. My feelings about leaving are much more mixed than I ever thought they would be. We have always wanted to live out in what native Utah Mormons call "the mission field". We grew up outside the bubble. We are comfortable outside the bubble...but yet I still feel like part of me has grown used to the bubble and will acutally miss it. I can understand why people would want their kids to grow up here, but I also know its possible to be good and to have a strong testimony even without growing up here. My parents rasied us with strong testimonies so I have faith that we can do it too.

I've come to like the snow....wait let me finish...as long as I dont have to drive in it which now isnt even so bad since we have a car that has four wheel drive and traction control. I am proud that I can admit this even though I am seriously pissed that in the past 24 hours we have gotten over 7 inches of snow and its the freakin middle of April. That I will not miss.

Jonny and I have had a lot of great experiences here. The beginning of our marriage, starting our family, learning lots of life lessons. It has been a true adventure for us. We had made some amazing friends that I am REALLY going to miss. This is probably one of the reasons I am the most sad to move.

Some of the other highlights:
Going to BYU football games
Being able to go skiing and sledding
Being able to do family dinners for a while
Being close enough to Yellowstone and places where we went white water rafting and camping
Picking up and going to Vegas on the spur of the moment
Going four wheeling with friends
Visiting family often
Living in old apartments that make lots of funny noises
Going to see the lights on temple square
Attending Conference in the Conference center
Occasional hiking

It has been so fun and so much more of me is sad than I thought would be but I am also excited to start the next stage of our lives. Our life will not be measured in semesters anymore, but in months, and years, and seasons like most people. It will be good and we are looking forward to it.

Goodbye Utah. We'll miss you.

FRESNO HERE WE COME! I'll post when we set up our internet there.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Because I am experiencing the same thing as you I can honestly say I know how you feel. You've read my posts...Utah is a wonderful place to live and a great place to raise your family. However, you can raise a righteous family outside of Utah too (like you said...look at us? We turned out ok. I think it's because we were friends!) Anyway, I'm sure Utah will miss you, too! Good luck in everything. It's great to finally start the rest of your life, isn't it?

Karen Nelson said...

I actually feel sad for you because I have experienced moving the first half of my life about every 2 years or less, so I can relate. It is hard to leave friends behind!
That said...I am THRILLED that y'all will soon be here in Texas (the mission field).
Most of all I want to let Jonny know how very proud I am of him and that I think he is ultra awesome! Wish I could give you a great big hug!
I am so proud of all y'all have learned and how you've grown. And I am eternally grateful that you helped me to become a grandma. Hailey..Mimi loves you!
Drive careful, be safe, y'all are in my prayers.

Sarah Coyne said...

Oh boo! We meant to come visit you before you left! Have a safe trip to Fresno! We'll miss you!!!

As far as the bubble goes: I love it! There are good and bad sides to living in Utah, but I really wanted to raise my kids here. There is just a better opportunity to make good friends here who share your same standards (at least compared to England, where there are SO few members!) However, I think that because you and Jonny are sure good parents, I'm sure your kids will be righteous no matter where you live!

beckee said...

Oh Cassie! I understand your mixed feelings. Wes and I grew up "in the bubble," and we loved it. But we have lived most of our married life and our kids lives outside of Utah now and loved it too. I thought we would be "outside" forever. I like it here. There are some things I really love about the places we have lived, and I have also found that I am happy where ever as long as I have Wes and the kids.

That being said, with only 3 years left of residency, we are now going to have to decide where to go for good, and I cannot wait to get back where there is family! (Hopefully there are jobs there in 3 years) Visiting last week spoiled me and I want to be closer to our families. I am sure you want to be closer to your parents as well!

Good luck in all you do, and congrats Jonny! I am so glad you have your blog so I can keep up with you guys! Looking forward to hearing about Fresno!