5 minutes later I'm playing PlayStation...
What?
I have a short attention oh look something shiny!
Anyways, a couple hours and many dead monsters later I realized I should tell you guys about our trip to the dark side. I like to call it the "7th circle of Hell", but Cassie said I shouldn't post the word "hell" so I won't.
About a week ago we went to........
wait for it....
the dentist.
(cue mass hysteria)
I decided that anyone who goes into this profession has serious issues that need to be resolved. (though i still love and support any anonymous family members like David who have chosen this line of work)
Growing up, I managed to fly under the radar when it came to dentist check ups. When the dentist here in Provo asked me who my previous dentist was I answered, "Some guy or girl in Iowa I think". Unfortunately, Cassie has decided that pretty smiles are important and I'm not allowed to have dentures yet.
After much deliberation (read: choosing to go willingly or watch another Jane Austin movie) Cassie got me to go to the dentist. I would like you to meet him.

Lovey man that dentist. I think he got his degree from Harvard or something...
After about 3 hours of people stabbing my gums and teeth with all manner of torture devices, I received the good news.
"Well Mr. Hurst, you have 1.5 million cavities to fix, you have some gum problems that we have to work on, and we are going to take out one of your wisdom teeth just for kicks. We'd like to schedule a 6 hour appointment for you so we can fix this and give you a severe complex."
Well thanks doc, let's just book that right now!
So on the 21st of March they are gonna drug me into a coma and go to work.
When life hands you lemons, you probably got them from a dentist.
18 comments:
One of my greatest concerns was that when I told him we were going to get his teetch cleaned he actually asked me, Fine...So what all does a teeth cleaning involve?" Which led me to wonder did the Hurst children not go to the dentist or did he subconsciously block such a terrible experience from his memory? And by the way it wasnt three hours! They didnt even get to clean this teeth at the time becuase they will just do it during his 6 hour appt. That part is true!
Seriously... What is it with Hurst kids and dentists? My beautiful, adoring wife has not been to the dentist even once in the entire time I've known her. I pushed, pleaded, begged, you name it -short of pulling her teeth out myself, and she will not go. We even have dental coverage!!! If anyone has any ideas on how to break this apparent Hurst-itis, please let me know.
As a Hurst I must say that desease is actually quit plesant. I got dental coverage for 4 months so Ash and I could go to the dentist and get all of our teeth fixed and then we would drop it. I too could not tell the dentist who my last dentist was. But the bill was crazy. Anyone choosing that profession will definately never go hungry. But look at the bright side. We might be able to get our dental work done for free in a few years. It might be appaeling then.
Thanks Jonny for finally putting up a post! And I know it wasn't that bad at the dentist. You are still alive to tell about it!
ps. it is spelled Meredith not Merideth...you would think we just met!
In defense of the parents, the kids were taken to the dentist. They just didn't go very often. And when they left home the quite completely. With the exception of David. Dad and I go on a regular basis and have even in Iowa. Maybe not twice a year but usually at least once. After braces you kids just wouldn't go to the dentist unless you HAD to for a tooth ache.
As another Hurst child, I'd like to add my bit. I remember going to the dentist only once, when I was about 9 years old. It was awful and made me want to throw up. But in my defense, I spent PLENTY of time having someone shove scary metal things in my mouth when I had braces. It makes me gag just thinking about it. I have gone once since I've been married though, and only because I was pregnant and on Medicaid so it was free. I almost fainted. Literally. They had to call Kevin in to make me feel better. I'm with you Jonny. And David, I support your career choice but what a gross profession.
Kenny, I will break the Hurst-dentist curse by becoming one!
Yeah I dont really remember going to the dentist except for when i was getting braces done. Yeah i kinda could not quit going to the dentist because I plan on being one. It actually is really fascinating stuff. Very fun and interesting to see and do dental work. Oh and not do not worry about the needle. THey have this new stuff called "TOPICAL" that numbs your lip before the stick you with the anesthesia (sp?.
Kenny, I will break the Hurst-dentist curse by becoming one!
Yeah I dont really remember going to the dentist except for when i was getting braces done. Yeah i kinda could not quit going to the dentist because I plan on being one. It actually is really fascinating stuff. Very fun and interesting to see and do dental work. Oh and not do not worry about the needle. THey have this new stuff called "TOPICAL" that numbs your lip before the stick you with the anesthesia (sp?.
I meant to say Oh and JON do not worry about the needle.
I should probably proof read my posts before I publish them!
Yes you would think that a family that has had to deal with so much orthodontia would really care about their teeth. But it is like pulling teeth to get them to go. In Marissa's defense they really did have to come get me from the waiting room to make sure she didn't collapse in their chair. Not that this will make any of her siblings feel any better about going to the dentist. I have been at least 4 times in the 6 years we have been married. It is a great place to spend half a day.
I threw up at the dentist, but I was 9 months pregnant.
I'm very amused the the passion everyone pretty much has against going to the dentist. You must all be going to the WRONG dentist. My dentist is very gentle and doesn't like me to feel any pain. He sprays stuff in my mouth to numb it a little before working on it. I went in because I had a tooth ache. He had to take a mold of my mouth and numbed me before doing so (without a needle). I've never had a dentist do that before.
The Last dentist I went too (3 months ago) said my rotting tooth was hurting because of the change in the weather. The next day I had an emergency root canal done bacause my tooth had died. I think I did go to the wrong dentist.
I dont understand everyone's phobia about the dentist! Granted I'm not fond of going either, but good heck I value my teeth enough to endure a little pinch here and there! Maybe all the Hurst siblings should go to family counseling!
Long time no see! I to am headed to the dentist but I am putting off until summer. Have fun on the 21st.
I have to been to the dentist since we got married. Once to fill a cavity about 7 years ago. And when I was pregnant with Kenny I had an emergency wisdom tooth extraction. And due to being pregnant, I didn't get ANY anesthesia. Try that for tramatizing!!!
Jonny - We have decided that you need to become a writer!
Call me a freak but I love going to the dentist. I love the way my mouth feels after they have cleaned my teeth. I almost fall asleep while they are working on my teeth. But I'm really a weird person when it comes to stuff like that.
Post a Comment