Friday, June 18, 2010

My Poor Baby!

*****WARNING*****
If you just ate or have a queesy stomach you may not want to look at the following pics.

ok it may not be that bad but you cant say I didnt warn you in case you think its worse than I do.

I had my first trip to an emergency room with Hailey on Tuesday. She and I always go to the pool on Tuesdays because it is the day after it has been shocked so its always really clean. This past Tuesday we went Hailey was getting back in the pool after getting a toy and slipped as she was getting in. She banged her chin on the side of the pool and her poor little tounge was apparently in between her teeth.

This did not go over well.

I thought she was ok but upon helping her up (she just slipped onto the first step so she didnt fall in the water or anything) I quickly noticed the large amounts of blood coming from her mouth. It took me a couple minutes to figure out where it was coming from and then we were off to figure out whether we should go to the ER or just an urgent care. We ended up going to an emergency care clinic (in between an emergency room and urgent care facility). Thanks Chiara and Kenny for helping me figure out where to go.

So to make a long story a little shorter. She ended up biting all the way through her tounge from the tip about a 1/4+ inch in which on a little tounge is fairly large. Think snake tounge. So the ER doctor and his staff people there took excellent care of Hailey (and me). Jonny left work to come be with us. They had to completely sedate Hailey so they could put 4 stitches in her baby tounge. It was very sad and very hard to watch. Apparently a lot of times when you hurt your tounge they just tell you to eat popsicles and be careful and it will heal on its own...not this time. So I'm really glad I took her in. They told me it would have healed forked if we hadnt stitched it back together.

After our ordeal we did a lot of sitting watching TV with a pacifier in her mouth to keep her fingers away from her tounge so it could have a good chance of beginning to heal properly without losing the stitches. (yeah she is holding her tylenol bottle)
And here she is. Not so bad looking now. For the rest of the day and throughout Wed every once in a while she would look at me with this sad look on her face and say "Tounge, tounge" My poor baby.

5 comments:

Mother Goose said...

Poor baby! Glad she is doing better. Hailey, don't scare you poor mother like that anymore! (My girls like to hold the tylenol bottle too!)

Rowbury Adventures said...

aw poor little thing! Good thing she is so darn tough! She is getting so adorable I miss you guys!

Nursemom said...

Poor little thing. It's so scary when little ones get hurt. I hope she's feeling better now.

Sarah Coyne said...

Oh yikes!!! This is scary, but I'm glad she was okay!

Karen Nelson said...

Sweet little angel baby!!